High School Student Council
The Pinnacle College Kyalami (Summit College) High School SC (student council) actively promotes the interests of students by researching projects and effectively communicating with the management.
The council will consist of two democratically elected representatives of each grade.
Membership of Council
2 representatives from each grade and the Head Leaders.
- Head Boy
- Head Girl
The Student Council will meet once a week. Students can raise issues directly with SRC members or by placing suggestions in the SRC suggestion box. All concerns raised by students will be treated confidentially. The SRC recognize the importance of being respectful in their dealings with all stakeholders and will always strive to focus on the issue.
ROLE OF THE STUDENT COUNCIL
- To create in cooperation with the Principal, staff and students, a better school life for the students of our school.
- To provide students with opportunities of leadership and to develop in all students a sense of responsibility.
- To bridge the gap between teachers and students by channelling communications between our peers (students) and the liaison teachers. This is done through regular discussions with students and the SRC suggestion box.
- To encourage the students in the school to become more aware of how the school is run and the purpose of the different structures that are in place. This is done through feedback sessions during mentor periods.
- To improve the school atmosphere. This is done through the promotion of school events and by the SRC actively encouraging participation in sport and cultural activities.
- To contribute to overall school development by being involved in school policy, development and to be a resource in working in partnership with the management of the school.
- Improving school conditions, the learning environment and school facilities. This is done through consulting with students, planning fundraisers and discussing solutions with all stakeholders.
- Attends Student Council meeting.
- Acts as a link between staff members and the council.
- Has a voice but not a vote.
- Is a source of information.
- Can take notes to complement the secretary’s minutes.
- To be a support to the council when needed and to be active when called upon.
- To inform all members of relevant information (training, etc.).
- To put student council issues and activities on the agenda for staff meetings.
- In the event of difficulties with the Student Council and Liaison Teacher the Principal is to be contacted.
OFFICERS AND ACTIVITIES
- These positions will be filled by a democratic secret ballot.
- The Chairperson will run the meeting, adhere to the agenda and direct all comments through the chair. The Chairperson will endeavour to ensure that all council members have the chance to express their views.
- The Secretary will record the minutes in a designated minute book.
- The Treasurer will manage Student Council funds and report on financial affairs to a meeting.
- All members will report back to their classes on matters discussed at meetings and bring issues raised by their classmates at meetings.